Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Tuesday Teaser

Well, I got sucked in. This must be what a drug addic or an alcholic feels like. Where is my air? Why can't I function straight? What is this!!!???

I finally finished Brisingr and one of my students talked me into begining the Twilight series by Stephanie Mayer. Day one- I start the first book, Twilight. I get one chapter in before heading to work. I'm hooked. It's like the first free sample that they know is going to get ya to come back. I stuck the book in my school bag and went off to work. 8:00 rolls around, sixth graders are coming in, and here comes Lisa.

her: "Did you read it, yet?"
me: "I just started this morning, I got through the first chapter, she's just finished her first day of school."
her: "Did you get to the van yet?"
me: "What van?"
her: "Guess not."
me: "So if Edward is a vampire, which he is because it says so on the back cover, how is he out in the daytime?"
her: >smirk< "Mrs. A., I'm not telling you, you have to read it yourself!"

So I did. On my lunch break, on my planning, after school when the kids left but before teachers are allowed to go. Luckily I'm all caught up with my paperwork by some miraculous miracle. By the morning of day 2, I'm 1/2 way through the book. I would have gotten more done but I had things to do that night that couldn't be changed or avoided so not much reading. But, again, I can't seem to get enough of it! So I read every spare second I had on Day 2. By the time I went to bed, I was done not only with book 1, but also with book 2, New Moon, as well! I didn't like book 2 as much as book 1 but I read it quickly because I was anxiously waiting for the one event to happen that I knew HAD to happen for me to like the book again...and of course it did happen. In fact, Stephanie Meyer suggests on her website that readers should read New Moon twice, because apparently many people do the same thing I did and rush through so much of the first part of the book trying to find out when "it" happens. She suggests reading it twice because the second time, you know how it is resolved and can take in more of that beginning.

But now, I don't have books 3 and 4! ACK What do I do??? I HAVE to know what happens next! I need my "fix!" I'm wondering if I can make it to Wal-mart to get them without being late to work...

Here are my teasers for both books one and two:


From page 376 of Twilight:

"Their sharp eyes carefully took in the more polished, urbane stance of Carlisle, who, flanked by Emmett and Jasper, stepped guardedly forward to meet them. Without any seeming communication between them, they each straightened into a more casual, erect bearing."



and from page 295 of New Moon, more than 2 sentences but they are short sentences and are needed for comprehension:


"There was no cult. There had never been a cult, never been a gang. No, it was much worse than that. It was a pack."


1 comment:

Nise' said...

I can so relate! My sons started the series before me. While I was reading, I continually asked them questions and they would ask where I was in the book, but would not answer my questions so I had to read faster to find out! I just started book 3.

Stats